Banana bread is the perfect way to use up waste, as we all discovered during lockdown.
But with the spooky season around the corner, there’s something else that lots of us throw away that could be put to better use – pumpkin.
This recipe uses the scooped out insides to create a delicious autumnal cake.
Pumpkin is also really inexpensive right now as supermarkets are pilled high with them.
Created by Buzzy Blends, it uses the vegetable and honey to make it sweet.
- 160g butter
- 4 tbsp of seasonal honey
- 1 free range egg
- 250g grated pumpkin (you can use pumpkin puree too)
- 50g brown sugar
- 350g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp of orange zest
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4.
- Melt the butter. Add honey to the warm butter and mix until combined.
- Add one egg and the grated pumpkin into the honey and butter mixture.
- Add brown sugar and flour mixed with baking powder, the spices and orange zest.
- Pour the mixture into a bread tin, lined with baking paper and bake in a preheated oven for about 50 minutes. Cool the baked pumpkin loaf and sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and ground cinnamon.
Do you have an easy recipe to share?
Get in touch at [email protected].